STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE
STEP 1: Contact us, to find out more and make an appointment to see us.
Explain your problem.
STEP 2: If mediation is possible, we will assist you to fill in an application form.
- MED-1 Application for referral to mediation prior to litigation
- MED-3 Application for referral to mediation after litigation commenced
STEP 3: We will invite you and the other party to come to a meeting to discuss an agreement to mediate.
At this meeting:
- The mediation process will be explained.
- The parties sign a written agreement to mediate.
- We will assist the parties to choose a mediator.
- The date and time of mediation will be agreed and fees
- Fees will be payed according to a fixed tariff and shared equally by both parties.
STEP 4: The mediator and parties meet on a suitable date for a mediation session.
- The mediator explains mediation rules and procedures.
- Each party tells their story.
- The mediator may ask questions.
- The mediator suggests solutions.
- Parties discuss what is the best solution.
STEP 5: An Agreement is reached by the parties.
- The mediator helps parties to write an agreement.
- Agreement may be made an order of court if parties wish.
Benefits of mediation:
- It offers speedy resolution of disputes.
- It is considerably cheaper than litigation.
- It provides a win-win situation for both parties in a dispute.
- The process is flexible and avoids technicalities.
- It is a voluntary process.
- It promotes reconciliation.
- Parties can use their own languages.
MEDIATORS’ TARIFF OF FEES
ITEM LEVEL 1 LEVEL 2
1. Perusal of documents, per page R 22,00 R 22,00
2. For every half hour or part thereof spent in mediation with
parties or litigants to the dispute: or any necessary witness R 225,00 R 300,00
3. Preparation of a report in terms of rule 80(2), per hour R 450,00 R 600,00
4. Travelling from usual place of business to the mediation
venue, per kilometre R 3,00 R 3,00
(a) The fee in item (2) above for a single mediation shall be
subject to a maximum fee per day of:
(i) R4 500,00 for a level 1 mediator; and
(ii) R6 000,00 for a level 2 mediator.
(b) The fee in item (3) above shall be subject to a maximum
(i) R1 350,00 for a level 1 mediator; and
(ii) R1 800,00 for a level 2 mediator.